Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Marc André Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:16:53 +0200

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:49:09AM +0300, Dimitris Zervas wrote:
> On September 13, 2014 5:01:15 PM EEST, "Marc André Tanner" <mat_AT_brain-dump.org> wrote:
> >TLDR: I'm writing an experimental but (hopefully) highly efficient vim
> >like text editor based on a piece chain data structure. You will find
> >an url to a git repository at the end of this rather long mail.
> Take a look at sandy [0], it is a suckless vim-like text editor.

I'm well aware of sandy, it is a fine editor! I use some of the same
ideas for example the syntax highlighting. One of the goals of vis to
have a clean separation between frontend and backend code, it is therefore
perfectly possible to implement a sandy like interface on top of it.

> We haven't paid much attention at the text management algorithm, but
> I think that your algorithm is not that difficult to implement.

I'm not sure it is that easy with the current sandy codebase.

> Apart from that, we've implemented all the features you pointed,
> apart from auto completion.

I don't think so, try to edit something like this:

 コンニチハ

or this:

 printf "Hello\0World" > TEST && sandy TEST

or this (not recommended):

 seq 10000000 > TEST && sandy TEST

Last time I looked the vim bindings weren't that powerful, for example
text object are not supported? As an example something like this in a
nested code block: c2i}

> Have fun coding! :)

I have, thanks!

--