Re: [dev][sbase] Proposal of suckless compression

From: Ralph Eastwood <tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 05:42:45 +0100

On 24 September 2014 01:18, Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe
<first.lord.of.teal_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there something wrong with sflate?

I had missed sflate, thanks! Although, having now looked, I'm
envisioning something smaller than sflate.

On 24 September 2014 01:29, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO generating compressed tarballs with rare compression scheme sucks.
> Aren't tarballs supposed to be lingua franca of data storage?

I don't think the compression format is defined by POSIX; as far as I
can see XZ is really recent but has gained traction in some
distributions. In terms of actual usefulness, this compression scheme
would be a nice addition for suckless based tools to use e.g. package
manager etc. Use outside of suckless is harder to gauge; there are a
lot of compression methods out there.

--
Tai Chi Minh Ralph Eastwood
tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com