Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:03:09 +0100

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 7:03 PM, ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06_AT_xox.ch> wrote:
> :paste :nopaste modes (if the commands above are implemented)

By the way, if you use st you can have paste/nopaste switch
automatically. See
https://github.com/raphael-proust/rcs/blob/master/home/user/.vimrc#L218
for details.

> […]

I agree with some of your “X should do Y” comments. The others I just
don't care about. But that just goes towards your point that “each of
the many heavy users out there uses a different small subset” and
bloatedness.

> and here a few nice to have:
>
> - digraphs

Out of curiosity, do you actually use digraphs? Why not compose?

> - "special" registers (calculation, current filename)

I find acme's way of dealing with it both simpler, cleaner, sucklesser
and more unix-like: when calling out to a shell, set the environment
variable $% to the filename. I'd really prefer a vim-like editor to
not try to implement a whole lot of commands that can just be
shelled-out and use something acme-like.

Additionally, having a good shelling-out mechanism (that allows piping
content) also offers a solution to many of the things you mention
(retab

> - inserting registers with ctrl-r (ctrl-r% inserts the filename in the file itself)

With the aforementioned environment variable and sell-out trick this
becomes :r!echo $% (admittedly longer, but then you can :r!basename $%
or :r!echo $pwd/$% etc.)

> - optional syntax highlighting

I still don't know of any editor doing that cleanly… (code-wise)

> - i'm not sure that having j/k behaving like gj/gk is a good idea

I fully agree with you on this one.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust