Re: [dev][sbase] Proposal of suckless compression

From: Ralph Eastwood <tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:57:25 +0100

On 24 September 2014 16:41, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> People can shift, but archives can't. Most of tarballs that already
> available as .tgz or .tar.gz will remain in that format forever, and
> having to use GNU tar in order to use them is unacceptable.

Yeah, that does make sense. I've not really looked into it, but does
flate have edge cases
it does not handle as yet?

> P.S.: GNU and FreeBSD implementations of tar have "-J" option for
? xz-compressed tarballs. NetBSD and OpenBSD don't have it. I am not
? sure whether this allows to say that ".txz" tarballs are not a norm yet.

The introduction of bzip2 and xz always surprised me. Perhaps the
authors of those
formats were the only ones that approached GNU to have them included.

--
Tai Chi Minh Ralph Eastwood
tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com