Re: [dev][sbase] Proposal of suckless compression

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:21:54 +0200

Ralph Eastwood said:
> The introduction of bzip2 and xz always surprised me. Perhaps the
> authors of those formats were the only ones that approached GNU to
> have them included.

Actually GNU tar supports several compression tools:

 * gzip
 * xz
 * bzip2
 * lzip
 * lzma
 * lzop
 * compress

Bzip2 and xz-utils are merely most popular. Bzip2 was patent-free
compression tools with best ratio for quite some time, and xz-utils most
likely owe to popularity of 7-zip on Windows. (AFAIK it is also the
tool providing the best compression ratio on UNIX now.)

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff