Re: [dev] surf alternatives for Adblock Plus, Privacy Badger, Self-Destructing Cookies, BetterPrivacy

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 21:58:43 +0000

Hi Greg,

Quoth Greg Reagle:
> There are a few Firefox extensions that I've come to rely on. What do
> you use or what do you suggest that I use to provide the functionality
> of the following Firefox extensions:
>
> Adblock Plus for blocking ads, see https://adblockplus.org/
>
> Privacy Badger for blocking trackers, see
> https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

I use privoxy for both of those. It isn't as straightforward to add
new rules, but it works quite well.

> Self-Destructing Cookies for automatically deleting cookies, see
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/

I have a little shell script that deletes the .cookies file if no
surf instance is running, that is spawned from cron regularly. I'll
attach it.

> BetterPrivacy for blocking Flash cookies, see
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

I don't have flash installed, so that isn't a problem for me.