Re: [dwm] === seems to be no stayer

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:20:03 +0200

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 02:32:05PM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 18:46 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > I think that the stack position toggling might not stay in
> > future releases. I rarely used it during last days, because
> > I noticed that it scales on screens with W > H poorly.
> >
> > It might be of use in XRandR setups like tablet PCs, but in
> > those scenarios it is still questionable.
> >
> > I'm not either sure the StackLeft-thing will stay, because a
> > dual head setup with separate dwm instances is quite limited
> > compared to xinerama. dwm is a window manager for single head
> > setups with W > H. This is where I use it and those who adapted
> > to my usage patterns. I also prefer this 21" display with
> > 2000x1200 pixels to all those dual head setups.
>
> It would be sad if stack position toggling were removed from the main
> branch. It is quite useful to many people, and scales as well as
> necessary for us. I hope to some day have a 21" 2000x1200px display, but
> I believe I would still use it then. I have gotten feedback that people
> are using bottom stack as their default layout on their laptop. I have a
> 17" at home and a 19" at work, and while the right stack is my
> predominant layout, the bottom stack is a very important view.
>
> -RPM
> P.S. If bottom stack is removed, I will continue to supply my patch.

Great to hear that you will continue supplying this patch,
because I already prepared dwm-1.9 without the stack
position toggling. Due to several restructurings in the
dwm-1.9 source, your patch will benefit from the
resizecol-improvements, because the master ratio is
remembered now, even if the stack is arranged in different
positions.

Regards,