Re: [dev] dwm / add tabs / attach/detach functionality

From: Kevin Nagel <auyeung_AT_ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:29:15 +0100 (BST)

well the usecase for workspaces (vs tagging) is: i usually open
xterms, emacs, pdfviewer, and sometimes inkscape or firefox. if i
would be using tagging (as far as i understand the concept) i would
have all opened pdfs in one tagspace, then terms perhaps together
with emacs, but firefox somewhere else. now things get a bit dense
sometimes, therefore i might decide use tab to hide one window
behind/next the other and keep at least to windows in split view,
e.g. left:xterm+tab(firefox), right:emacs+tab(pdf). now i need to
look up an algorithm written in the pdf so i tab on the right to the
pdfviewer and check out some codes with xterm. see what i mean? i
things run dynamically, under control, because things have to be
rearranged on the fly and not all too automatically. the auto
placement of the windows in a workspace, e.g. vertical split,
maximised, tiled, etc. is what i need, but i want to be able to open
another (n-th) workspace, fire some xterms and try sth, and then go
to workspace n-1-th to continue browsing.

i have not tried understanding the wmii-x codes as i dont know much
about the plan-9 thingy, but would consider the dwm code (one file,
one place, one smile :O)). but is that a difficult thing to deal
with? no documentation?

--
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,