Re: [dev] GSoC 2010

From: Anselm R Garbe <anselm_AT_garbe.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:53:50 +0000

Another idea that I'd like to push this year is the creation of a
suckless issue tracking/bug tracking system. All existing systems suck
and it is still a burden for projects and small businesses to track
bugs or customer issues in less sucking ways. The existing
alternatives are all a big desgrace, can't speak of those commercial
ones, but I guess they ain't any better than the floss ones.

Approaches like trac do too many things, and hence fail at doing issue
tracking right. A friend pointed me to the debian bug tracking system
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-refcard) and I must admit I kind of
like parts of it.

I think it is a strong requirement for a decent issue tracker to have
a decent mail integration, people don't want to use hairy web
interfaces and developers or customer relation staff doesn't wants to
use them either -- RT for instance is good in the mail integration,
but it does too many things and has a bad web interface that really
sucks.

Kind regards,
Anselm