Re: [dev] stali and static surf binary

From: Jimmy Tang <jtang_AT_tchpc.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:04:40 +0100

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 09:09:09PM -0400, Ersin Akinci wrote:
> You're correct, my intentions are quite different and have nothing at all
> to do with performance concerns.  I'm trying to manifest a certain
> aesthetic vision: I like the act of downloading static binaries and
> deleting them without worrying about dependencies, complicated directory
> structures, etc.  stali's web page also implies that the goal isn't just
> completely focused on performance, especially when you read the proposed
> directory structure (i.e., "/proc: linux stuff").

Slightly of topic with this, but I've tried to run statifier on the
surf binary (from my archlinux virtual machine) to generate a psuedo
statically linked blob, it sort of works if the target distro that you
intend to run the binary on is using a new enough glibc. I ran into
all sorts of backward compatibility issues with threading when I tried
to run the psuedo statically linked blob on a rhel5 like system (older
glibc's)

it's not really static linking that I tried but its close to some of
your goals i think. anyway the blob i got was about 80megs in size
when it was outputted from statifier.

jimmy

--
Jimmy Tang
Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,