Re: [dev] debugging wmii

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:07:14 -0400

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 11:00:28AM -0400, Vladimir Levin wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running the latest hg of wmii, and it seems that once in a while it's
>causing X to crash on me (mostly during resizing in the floating layer).
>This also happened to me when I was using the latest stable release.
>The question I have is how would I go about debugging this problem (since it
>might be caused by some of changes that I made, or could be just my general
>setup)...
>
>Is there some sort of a guide to this? Some flags I could enable, or logs to
>go through? Or should I just look up debugging X?

Well, generally the easiest way is to read the virtual files
under /debug. You can also enable console debugging output with
the -D flag (or the debug property of /ctl), i.e., wmii -D
event+ewmh.

Is there a crash or a stack dump? Also, I don't suppose you're
starting wmii in a way that X quits when it does?

--
Kris Maglione
The tragedy of modern war is not so much that young men die but that