Re: [dev] [dwm] tagging interface

From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57_AT_fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:44:50 +0100

On 7 Oct 2010, at 1:44 am, Wolf Tivy wrote:

> Ok, I'm not sure I understand you on this one. What you are
> talking about (killing apps) is not affected by my patch. If you
> mean that we should filter repeats globally in dwm, not just in
> this case, then I don't think it should be done. That feels like
> abstracting and re-interfacing the OS, which does not belong in
> dwm. The default behavior in X is key repeats, so users should
> expect repeats when they hold keys. Period.

What should we do for programs which need controls which don't
repeat? Make a new kind of input device which looks just like a
keyboard but which isn't because keyboard keys repeat, by definition?

I don't want to labour the point, I'm just saying "This is X, stop
trying to treat it like it's sane." Still, for dwm itself my point
isn't a very strong one.