Re: [dev] which minimal os

From: Anders Andersson <pipatron_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:51:12 +0100

>> gentoo is as minimal as you can get or as complex as you want. you compile
>> everything locally, with the help of the portage repository (even the
>> kernel). it has been my closest experience to what i imagine "linux from
>> scratch" would be like.
>>
>> also, the gentoo boards are the most active i have seen.
>
> *WHY* does every gentoo user say these very same things about gentoo? Do you
> copypaste this text from somewhere in the gentoo boards?
> If all talk on the gentoo boards consists of people copypasting this
> boilerplate^Wtext, and that's what you believe is so great about gentoo, I
> never want to try gentoo ever in my life.

Not to mention its retardedness: "as minimal as you can get or as
complex as you want" is true for any machine code monitor that allows
you to modify memory in real time. It doesn't mean this is a good
thing. Infinite flexibility is not suckless, IMNSHO. The reason we
want to chose distributions, software and libraries is that someone
knowledgeable should have done some thinking and made a good decision
on what to include and what would just be silly.

Remember, cat -v is perhaps not the better cat, even though you have
the option to not use that flag.