Re: [dev] which minimal os

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 02:04:18 +0100

Kurt H Maier dixit (2011-02-16, 19:48):

> >Also, suggesting that people run *bsd on some modern commodity
> >hardware (especially laptops) is totally unrealistic.
>
> That just tells me you have no experience or understanding regarding
> the matter. I run linux on my laptop... but mostly because I have a
> shitload of scripts I don't feel like porting. Openbsd, freebsd,
> and pc-bsd all run excellently, with wifi and bluetooth support, on
> every laptop in my house, which is a non-trivial population. If you
> find that unrealistic, then it's your incompetence, and not software
> failure, that cause it to be that way.

That's highly possible – I have limited lifetime though and having a
comfortable work environment as I do now, I will probably never have
the incentive to devote a substantial number of hours checking whether
the hardware and the software I have will cooperate with bsds (already
knowing some of it will not).

--
[a]