Re: [dev] which minimal os

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 19:48:29 -0500

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 7:40 PM, Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl> wrote:
> Why would I want to? I don't like Python. Still, by comparison to
> dpkg-reconfigure it's pretty sane. And it works.

"It's better than debian" is a weak endorsement

> Since it's a source-based distro obviously I'm calling packages
> something else. Did I ever say binary?

and I'm saying 'source-based distros' are stupid

> Well, in practice *it is* a benefit of Gentoo, intended or
> not. Especially when you compare it to the -dev|-devel package mess of
> debian|redhat. So my argument stands despite the “braindead software
> distribution mechanism”.

"It's better than debian" is a weak endorsement

> Retarted seems to be your favourite word – it's a little overused,
> though.

we're talking about gentoo. it's the most appropriate word.

> Why?

because it's a complete waste of time and resources

> That's why nobody uses it.

good thing they maintain it then.

> I did look and I found an obscure mess of working or non-working
> makefiles. Somewhat akin to arch's AUR, on which we both seem to agree
> that it's a failure.

freebsd's ports trees are relatively well-maintained, to the point
where I haven't had a build failure in as long as I can remember. and
you can build packages with them.

> Holy crap, this is just picking on Ubuntu/Debian which do that by
> default, as you've failed to notice because you were too occupied with
> indulging in your rich resources of irony.

"It's better than debian" is a weak endorsement

>Also, suggesting that people run *bsd on some modern commodity
>hardware (especially laptops) is totally unrealistic.

That just tells me you have no experience or understanding regarding
the matter. I run linux on my laptop... but mostly because I have a
shitload of scripts I don't feel like porting. Openbsd, freebsd, and
pc-bsd all run excellently, with wifi and bluetooth support, on every
laptop in my house, which is a non-trivial population. If you find
that unrealistic, then it's your incompetence, and not software
failure, that cause it to be that way.

--
# Kurt H Maier