[dev] I'm back

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 18:20:03 +0100

Hi there,

I'm back in the game ;)

Here is my master plan:

dwm
---
(i) First I plan a new dwm release with the introduction of draw{.h,c}
or libdraw. The idea is to abstract all the PCF/Xft cruft away from
the dwm implementation and to define a clean draw.h interface to be
used instead. This should also be incorporated into dmenu and st.
For this there are two options:
a) requiring an additional library dependency at build time (I'm not
the biggest proponent for this idea)
b) using cloned draw.{h,c}'s in st/dmenu/dwm, whereas the dwm
implementation is the master
(ii) Another aspect on the dwm roadmap is a reimplementation of the
current multi-screen handling. It still contains some weird bugs in
special setups with same screen sizes. Those don't seem to be easily
fixable with the current updategeom() handling.
(iii) A third idea is an old idea that 20h brought into the discussion
when investigating 2wm. The man page of 2wm mentions sbar, which was
abandoned a couple of years ago. My question here is:
-> is there anyone who uses the mouse functionality of the dwm bar
right now? Could you live without it?
I barely use the mouse for the dwm bar and would be in favour for
removing the bar altogether from dwm. Instead I would output the
current dwm state to stdout which could be used by a different program
like sbar for input. But I wouldn't add an interface to dwm to change
the tags through X props or some other command interface (like stdin
processing) to allow other programs to amend the dwm tags. Good old
key commands would be enough for me.
I know that some of you are inclined to use dwm on tablets. But I'm
not convinced that tablets or touch interfaces in general are a nice
fit with the terminal world we live in.
dmenu
-----
dmenu needs some fixes. The removal of config.h is the wrong way it
took. If someone stays with hg of dmenu or uses the releases, he has
to do conflict management now with dmenu.c changes.
sta.li
------
To me archlinux was a good distro until a couple of years ago.
Nowadays it seems to be very en vogue and thus has degraded quite
significantly in terms of simplicity. I'm not aware of any distro that
would come close to the radical goals of stali, thus this is the real
effort suckless.org must work on.  I believe that the Android core as
a base system is the best platform to base sta.li on.
Best regards,
Anselm