Re: [dev] Re: Why HTTP is so bad?

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 20:21:24 +0200

Greetings.

On Mon, 27 May 2013 20:21:24 +0200 "Fernando C.V." <ferkiwi_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Dmitrij Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > There can be a gentler solution similar to the way some network protocols
> > are handled in FUSE, Plan 9 and HURD: they create a pseudo fs and let normal
> > file I/O on it. *Much* cleaner approach IMO.
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Hadrian Węgrzynowski
> <hadrian_AT_hawski.com> wrote:
> > [1] http://httpfs.sourceforge.net/

This has been done in Plan 9 for years, but it isn’t really useful in
everyday use, due to media streams being bigger than ever and download‐
ing the file in one transfer is more convenient. Of course it’s useful
for esoteric stuff like booting from an ISO file on some HTTP mirror.

> Thanks awesome.
> How come surf is not based on this idea?

Surf is waiting for someone to write a suckless rendering engine. Then
the HTTP transfer functions can be done through some filesystem.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann