Re: [dev] Re: portable photoshop-like lite application based on C?

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 12:48:59 -0500

On 4 December 2013 04:40, Robert Figura <nc-figuraro_AT_netcologne.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:00:10 -0500
> Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You can do quite advanced image manipulation with something like ImageMagick.
>>
>> I actually like prog21.dagum's ideas [0] (no idea who he is), a purely
>> functional, non destructive editing program
> [...]
>> [0] http://prog21.dadgum.com/180.html
>

> Anyone looked at nip2?:
> http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/index.php?title=Nip2
>
> It's functional all right but i do like that it can handle huge images
> and some rather scientific datatypes. It's based on vips which comes
> with a commandline interface like ImageMagick...
>
> Sure it'd be nice if it'd actually go through commandline calls to do
> it's thing, so one could plug other processing agents. But i guess that
> seems to be tricky given vips' design goals.

I would love a Jack-style plugin system, in which i could actively
route video or pictures through a series of filters. Then all you need
is a wrapper to set up the filters and your processing is handled
independently.

>> Here would be my idea: A scripting window for commands, a graphics
>> window which shows the image buffer, and also allows recording of
>> mouse actions (as to script functions like select)
>
> Interesting.

I think it's not exactly a novel idea, but I do think it could be more
efficient. I spend quite a bit of time wasting my time clicking around
gimp looking for hidden options and buttons.