Re: [dev] Why do you use tmux/screen?

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 14:04:31 +0200

* hiro 2014-07-01 13:45
> I'd rather have the window manager manage all those persistent shell sessions.
> But tmux is such a beast that most people use is as their window
> manager in a window manager as well.

tmux (or dvtm, or tabbed, or other multiplexer) run locally inside
wm make sense for logically (according to one's logic) or technically
connected windows. For me, an irc session is such case -- runs in (what
would be in dwm) bottom layout in dvtm+dtach: sic in one window, log
tail in the other.

The gain of persistent sessions as with tmux and dvtm+dtach is obvious
but is another story.

--s_