Re: [dev] [surf] web videos idea

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 06:11:19 +0100

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 12:39:07AM +0000, Henrique Lengler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a video player (mplayer) installed on my computer with a lot of
> codecs, so it is able to play a lot of videos formats.
> I don't like the idea of installing some plugins like gstreamer to play
> vide on on the browser if have a video player already working.
>
> This is the Unix philosophy: Write programs that do one thing and do
> it well. Write programs to WORK TOGETHER.
>
> So I just thought, is there a way to combine both, my web browser that will
> care only about display the html stuff, and leave the video work to my
> video player? This would be awesome.

There is a firefox plugin called mozplugger that does pretty much that.
It'll select a program to display external content with based on its own
config file, termcap, xdg-mime and alternatives[1], then launch that
program and embed its window into firefox.

[1] See, that's what happens when there is no standard. mozplugger has
now 4 different ways of selecting an application, so if the choice it
takes is the wrong one, good luck in figuring out how to change it.

> Regards,

Ciao,
Markus