Re: [dev] [surf] web videos idea

From: Alexander Hof <suckless_AT_cosmofox.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:11:37 +0100

Henrique Lengler wrote:

> Thank you guys, but I'm looking for something automatic. Looks like it
> doesn't exist but would be cool to have something like this.
> Also I don't care about youtube videos or any other type of video system
> that doesn't provide their videos as video files, I think this is wrong
> and sucks a lot.
> So my interest is in direct video links and pages with html5 video tag, that
> also point to a video file.
>
> Regards,

There was a script+patch somewhere that would grab an embedded video and
play it with mplayer/mpv/... by pressing a shortcut defined in your
config.def.h of surf, and as long as you disable javascript and plugins,
surf won't play the video by itself.
I can't remember where I found it, but here's the code:

#define WATCH {.v = (char *[]){ "/bin/sh", "-c", \
        "st -e \
        yt $(xprop -id $0 _SURF_URI | cut -d \\\" -f 2)", \
        winid, NULL } }

[...]

    { MODKEY, GDK_w, spawn, WATCH },

with "yt" being something like the attached script.