Re: [dev] [st] Scrollback patch crashes X

From: Nick Warne <nick_AT_linicks.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:30:41 +0100

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:11:23 +0100
Nick Warne <nick_AT_linicks.net> wrote:

> Hi Jochen,
>
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 17:47:04 +0200
> Jochen Sprickerhof <dwm_AT_jochen.sprickerhof.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > * Nick Warne <nick_AT_linicks.net> [2016-09-24 12:50]:
> > > To reproduce, use st with just the scrollback patch applied.
> > >
> > > Start dwm, and then use nano to load a large(ish) file (like
> > > dwm.c), and use the PgDn key to scroll down - after about 10
> > > seconds, X locks up - keyboard/mouse don't do anything.
> >
> > I've tested it over here but wasn't able to reproduce it (had to
> > copy dwm.c a couple of times to get 10sec of scroll down). I used st
> > f739843 (with scrollback), nano 2.7.0 and xorg 1.18.4 from Debian
> > unstable. What did you use? Can you send a backtrace?
>
> I didn't mean a 10 second scroll back - I just meant using PgDn a few
> times then maybe up, then down, after 10 ~ 20 secs X crashes... not
> the length of scroll.
>
> OK, my X is pretty old (maybe the problem):
>
> X.Org X Server 1.14.3 (Slackware 14.1)
>
> nano is 2.6.3
>
> I will update nano first, I didn't realise there was a new release.

First report :D

OK, this is getting messy. nano version 2.7.0, but I just found that
dwm stomps on the nano keyboard sequence Shift+Alt+$ to soft wrap long
lines - dwm pushes me to TAG 4.

From nano help (Ctrl g):
M-$ Soft wrapping of overlong lines enable/disable

I need to do more reading - or maybe hack nano to use a different key
sequence.

Nick
--
"Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward?  That's the trouble with
time travel, you never can tell."