[dev] [dwm] Why should (or shouldn't) dwm have a spawn function?

From: <qsmodo_AT_tutanota.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 01:16:41 +0200 (CEST)

The existence of the spawn function in dwm surprises me. Wouldn't it be more consistent with Suckless' values (simplicity, minimalism, modularity) if the job of spawning commands were relegated to a hotkey daemon, such as xbindkeys or sxhkd?

It is true that some people could be driven away after being greeted with a black screen without any preconfigured keybinding to open a terminal or dmenu, but dwm takes pride in "keeping its userbase small and elitist, withoutnovices asking stupid questions".
That's just curiosity; I still take dwm for the best WM out there.