Re: [dev] what is a suckless way to add a few keyboard shortcuts to Firefox

From: stefan11111 <stefan11111_AT_shitposting.expert>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 14:08:45 +0000

On 2024-01-05 07:14, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> On 24/01/05 04:14AM, stefan11111 wrote:
>> Maybe even remove my desktop all together at that point. :)
>
> Root window + st, with a terminal multiplexer is all that is needed.
> Desktop
> icons are just eye candy, and inefficient when moving a mouse to a
> specific
> place on the screen and double-clicking without moving the mouse is
> compared to
> much faster and accurate pressing a shortcut key spawning a dmenu_run,
> followed
> by typing a few distinctive characters and pressing Enter.

Who said anything about desktop icons? I use dwm, st, and dmenu.
There's no way I would use a bloated desktop that makes my ram usage be
measured in GB right after starting xorg.

>> Sadly, I still need to browse the web because there's a lot of useful
>> information out there on the web. Thankfully, noscript and ublock
>> origin filter
>> most of the bloat.
>>
>> There is librewolf which comes with privacy features by default.
>> There is palemoon which is forked from old Firefox, and is both
>> lightweight
>> and more privacy -focused than Firefox.
>>
>> Chromium is far too bloated for me to seriously think of using it. It
>> takes
>> more than twice as long as Firefox to compile and has extra
>> dependencies and
>> is, well, chromium, maintained by Google.
>
> About this, there is a (still kicking as of now) website offering a
> thorough
> analysis: DigDeeper, as well as some other websites.
>
> - uBlock Origin vs uMatrix:
> https://digdeeper.club/articles/addons.xhtml#adblockers
>
> - NoScript vs uMatrix:
> https://digdeeper.club/articles/addons.xhtml#noscript
>
> - Librewolf telemetry:
> https://sizeof.cat/post/web-browser-telemetry/#librewolf
> vs Ungoogled Chromium telemetry:
> https://sizeof.cat/post/web-browser-telemetry/#ungoogled-chromium
>
> - Palemoon:
> https://digdeeper.club/articles/browsers.xhtml#palemoon
>
> - Mozilla Inc has its own dedicated article:
> https://digdeeper.club/articles/mozilla.xhtml

Interesting read.
Quote from there:

> They both have hounded the OpenBSD packagers (archive) (MozArchive)
> because they wanted to use system libs which would be "deviating from
> official >configuration" - something the PM devs hate. They also
> hardcode compiler parameters, especially with libvpx to use specific
> opcodes instead of using >whatever the user or operating system sets
> ${CFLAGS}/${CXXFLAGS} to, breaking portability with different CPUs and
> operating systems.

I also dislike Moonchild's obsession with bundled libs, and sadly, some
options for building palemoon with system libs are broken.
Also, it's build script uses python2...

Aside from ungoogled chromium, which browser would you say it's worth
using?
Preferably not chromium based and not tied to google/mozilla/<other big
company>'s whims and shady interests.
--
Linux-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-7400_CPU__AT__3.00GHz
COMMON_FLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math