Re: [dwm] yet another random ideas

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 16:36:13 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 09:30:21AM -0500, Ross Mohn wrote: |> I don't understand what the motivation is for a change like this? What's |> the advantage over what exists today? |It's just an idea, I don't plan to implement it right now. |This concept is not restricted to a grid layout, it also applies |to a tiled layout with >1 clients in the master area (regardless |if that is managed column-alike or grid-alike). |The advantages I see are: |- you are free to work with more than 1 equally sized clients | (== clients of same importance) at a time This is one thing I really often need (& simulate by going to a temporary tag), but it still doesn't allow for things like 2 big windows and one small window. |- The explicit zoom() is replaced with an implicit zoom() on | focus{next/prev} One thing that wasn't clear about the implict grid was what happens if you switch in an additional tag to the view/remove tag from the view? Is there any coherency in the ordering of the clients as you change between viewing different tags? Another thing that some users might find important is the ability to deal with clients assuming they have a fixed aspect ratio. (At least, I find my patch for that immensely useful as I work looking at images a lot where tiling causing uniform scaling is ok, but non-uniform scaling makes it difficult to follow.) BTW: I'm still working on my patches for dwm, but because they're doing so many different things I need to figure out a way to split them into distinct chunks (rather than one big patch) for "publication" in a way that minimises the amount of work I do tracking stock dwm. I keep meaning to learn how patch-stack based pg (from git works) to see if that's suitable. Hopefully I'll put out some patches for dwm-2.8 sometime soon. cheers, dave tweed Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com