Re: [dwm] yet another random ideas

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:49:02 +0100

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 04:36:13PM +0000, David Tweed wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 09:30:21AM -0500, Ross Mohn wrote:
> |> I don't understand what the motivation is for a change like this? What's
> |> the advantage over what exists today?
>
> |It's just an idea, I don't plan to implement it right now.
> |This concept is not restricted to a grid layout, it also applies
> |to a tiled layout with >1 clients in the master area (regardless
> |if that is managed column-alike or grid-alike).
>
> |The advantages I see are:
> |- you are free to work with more than 1 equally sized clients
> | (== clients of same importance) at a time
>
> This is one thing I really often need (& simulate by going to
> a temporary tag), but it still doesn't allow for things like
> 2 big windows and one small window.

That's true. Maybe allowing more than 1 client in the master
area might be an option. Swapping could still work with the
first stacked client. I think allowing to customize the master
up to n clients might be an option. The changes to dotile() look
rather trivial to me.

> |- The explicit zoom() is replaced with an implicit zoom() on
> | focus{next/prev}
>
> One thing that wasn't clear about the implict grid was what
> happens if you switch in an additional tag to the view/remove tag
> from the view? Is there any coherency in the ordering of the
> clients as you change between viewing different tags?

It would behave like right now, but I fear it would be much less
predictable.

> Another thing that some users might find important is the ability to
> deal with clients assuming they have a fixed aspect ratio. (At least, I
> find my patch for that immensely useful as I work looking at images
> a lot where tiling causing uniform
> scaling is ok, but non-uniform scaling makes it difficult to follow.)

Yesterday, rob pointed me on IRC to this window manager:

http://sf.net/projects/quarkwm

Its developer has a very individual way of writing code and
documentation, however the concept of quarkwm takes such apps
into account.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361