Re: [dwm] mastertag patch for dwm 3.1

From: y i y u s <yiyu.jgl_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:54:37 +0100

2007/1/16, Archie Elberling <archie_AT_codersoffortune.net>:
> Hello,
> I have a vague idea this has been discussed before, but since it was a simple patch, I wrote it anyway and you can do what you like with it.
> My main irratation with stock dwm* is that if you have multiple tags selected then when you create a window it will be tagged with all the currently selected tags.
> Personally I have a tag I'm working on primarily, but will swap other tags in and out as I work which contain specific window(s). This tag adds a mastertag variable which is used as follows:
> * initally tag 0 is the master tag.
> * new windows are tagged with mastertag only.
> * if you switch tag with view, that tag becomes the mastertag.
> * if you toggle the master tag off the lowest selected tag becomes master.
> This patch won't be for everybody, but I thought someone might have a use for it.
>
> Regards,
> Archie
>
> *Apart from java, but my ire for that is fully aimed at sun

I was using for some time (aproximately dwm 2.0 or 1.*) a similar
thing. My tags were: 1, 2, 3, 4, web, irc, etc. And I had a define in
config.h:
#define WORKSPACES 4
then tags of new clients were only assigned to 1-4 tags, and when I
changed my view with MOD+1-4 I didn't make unvisible the other tags.
So, they were working like workspaces (though I could see more than
one at a time), and the rest of tags were some sort of sticky clients
(or groups of clients).
I know I haven't explained myself very well, this (and the fact that I
thought it would be usefull to nobody) is the reason I didn't tell
anything about this patch in the list, but it could give you some
ideas.
I was thinking about adding the funcionallity of remembering which
"sticky tags" were activated in each workspace, but after some time I
find more confortable - because of its simplicity - the tags
implementation in current dwm.

Salut!

--
- yiyus || JGL .