Re: [dwm] mouse vs keyboard issues

From: none <lordkrandel_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:04:56 +0200

pancake wrote:
> When i was an icewm user the 'not focus on mouseover' approach make me
> feel conformartable and productive, but, after a year being a dwm and wmii
> user I can say that it makes the mouse more productive, so you don't have
> to make stupid clicks all the time.
>
> My patch uses mouse wheel on client title to focusnext()/focusprev() it's
> far more productive/minimalistic than removing the focus client on mouse
> over and drawing stupid buttons for window managing.

I installed dwm from the Archlinux repo, so I can't compile atm, but I
will try your patch.
(Yeah, I will uninstall and compile myself later, I just installed dwm
before the browser)

Since your patch is not in the small patch list on suckless.org, I
couldn't really know
about that. Just tell me what is the "client title": The client title on
the dwm bar? I'm
unsure because once there was also a title bar _on_ the client which I
don't actually
see any more (so much the better). Looks like a pretty good solution!

I hate the 'focus on mouseover' because when I'm entering text in a
dialog, while
bringing my right hand on the keyboard I move by accident my optical
mouse out of
the dialog client area. (Once I found myself writing my password in #dwm!)
Then I have to move again the mouse over the dialog and retype my pass.

If I want to change focus and I have hands on keyboard, I use an Alt-Tab /
Alt-Shift-Tab way to change focus between clients and I wouldn't use
"stupid clicks all the time" :)

Thx for help,

Wyrmskull