Re: [dwm] A rather radical thought

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:12:46 +0200

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 04:37:47PM +0200, Matthias Kirschner wrote:
> * Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> [2008-04-02 16:11:54 +0200]:
>
> > Initially there is 1 column, a new client is inserted below the
> > currently selected window in the column, similiar to the stack
> > in tiled layout.
>
> If I open a new window, it would be more handy for me if the default is
> to open it in a new column. Because for most programs I use it is more
> important to see more of the vertical than the horizontal part (e.g. ls,
> editing text). If the default is to open a new "row" that would be a
> waste of place (even on my 12" screen). This was the reason for me not
> to use wmii.
>
> So I would like to know what the reason is for the default "open in the
> same column in row" is. (Perhaps I can improve my way of working :) .)
>
> Perhaps it is possible to have the option between those two ways?

Well what you describe was actually a reason why I disliked the
column layout as well. One could consider a global ncol value
which takes preference being reached, before columns are filled.

But would this really be worth the effort?

> And two more questions:
> - would there be no maximise / monocle?

There should be some kind of maximise.

> - would there be no floating?

I'm not sure about a floating layout in this regard, but a
floating layer is a must, esp. for transients.

But all the thoughts might never be realized, I just want to
know what the community thinks.

Kind regards,