Re: [dwm] Suckess Code Management

From: Brendan MacDonell <macdonellba_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:52:26 -0300

I'll only bother to mention here what utilities/applications I use
that might be considered unusual, as repeating the same set of
browsers / chat clients / DCVS tools ad infinitum would likely become
tedious. Without further preamble, I think the following might be
worth mentioning:

* WM: a forked dwm-5.3.1 (I altered it slightly to allow process
management and on-the-fly reloading.)
* Shell: rc or bash, depending on whether I'm working heavily with
scripting or interactive use.
* File Manager: I've come to prefer the shell.
* Text Editor: vile. I prefer the statically compiled lexers for
syntax highlighting as it means that I never have to contend with the
limited context and broken highlighting caused by starting vim at a
line in the middle of a large function. The binary is still smaller
than vim, @ 1.4MB with all of the filters compiled in, and there's few
configuration files to load.
* TODO/Bug tracking/Notes: I keep track of my Todo list and other info
with a 1.3KLOC (C++) utility I wrote to handle tagged notes from the
command line. Maybe I'll get around to writing up a readme and
releasing it soon.
* Compilers: GCC/G++/Gambit-C (scheme).

Brendan MacDonell