Re: [wmii] Re: sh flame with Uriel

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:30:29 +0100

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 02:06:57PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> > There is a difference between listening and deciding. A perfect
> > dictator _listens_ to his nation, but is independent enough to
> > _decide_ differently to what the majority requests. This project
> > is *not* democratic and will never be. Then I would quit my job.
> It is *you* who spoke of polls and voting.

Yes, to know the opinion of others. I can listen others - and in
contrast to you, I can(!) change my mind, because I don't believe in
any dogma like you.

> > Uriel won't listen if the opinion does not match
> > his basic ideology: Plan 9 (good) !Plan 9 (crap)
> Hah! you don't read 9fans? And at least, unlike you and many others, I

In 9fans most of the readers are much more open-minded than your
dogmatic ideology and I bet most of them agree with my summary
about your ideology.

> But I know you, and I know how this project works, and in a few
> months, we will be changing back to rc, and that is what pisses me off
> most, the totally ridiculous development process of this project.

Come on, now you want to tell me, that it is a better idea to
never remove crap which has been introduced because of wrong
decisions or because things changed completely. Do you really
want to tell me, that it is a better idea to stick with wrong
decisions and to justify them with a black-white dogma for any
prize? I realized that the 9base stuff is unnecessary clutter
just to run a 300 line rc script. That is also why your
expectation is wrong.

If I had decided that we depend on plan9port in the future, then
you would have been quite calm, because such decision would
match your dogma.

> I'm just sick of wasting my time with flame wars about every single
> frking detail, just to have you change your mind a few moments later,
> without even a recognition that you were wrong all along. How many
> times we have to go through the same idiotic dance before _you_ learn
> to listen?

If you are able to convince me, I'm open minded. If I think that
a decision was wrong, I try to fix it. I don't see a problem.

> Wmii is what it is today because I bothered to spend hours and hours
> arguing with you about all sorts of crap until you managed to think
> for a second, and see how wrong you were. And I'm feed up and tired of
> this game, every time you change something randomly, another flame
> war, just because you can't accept that you can be wrong and that
> changing stuff all over the place at random all the time is idiotic. I
> have had to fight over every single detail of wmii, and enough is
> enough.

You have not provided any sane argument why sticking with 9base
would make sense, which would be worth the effort. You even
didn't answered my questions, so what do you expect?

> Change is good for progress, but random change back and forth is just
> wasteful and stupid. For every step we move forward, we take two
> backwards (just to step forward again later after much fighting.)

You have to learn accepting different opinions. Period.

Regards,