Re: [wmii] sh flame with Uriel

From: Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 14:30:34 -0600

On 3/1/06, Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > We are not specifically talking about linux here, it just so happens
> > that WMII runs on X11, of which there are 2 major X servers supporting
> > X11 - XFree86 and X.org, both of which require the GNU utilities.
> > Sure there are other options, and you can always replace all the
> > scripts distributed with each server, but that's not the real
> > discussion here.
> There are more X servers than XFree86 and X.org. I and neither XFree86
> or X.org depend on GNU utilities either(auto*hell-ization by Gnome
> fools of R7 aside.)

I must make a point that I did not mean to say "GNU Utilities" -
rather both XFree86 and Xorg depend on sh, which is the true point of
discussion here.

Please note:
a) The usage of "2 major X servers" - I never denied the existance of
others, but meerly stated the most common ones
b) From xorg7:
head -n1 /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
head -n1 /usr/bin/startx
there's loads more - I can go on if you like

> > Can you please point me to some article/mailing list thread where a
> > non-Linux OS is "trying to get rid of that crap as soon as possible".
> > Of course, logically, this would mean they have "that crap" to begin
> > with.
> Any BSD, and specially OpenBSD.

That was not my request - again, can you please point me to some
article/mailing list thread where a non-Linux OS is "trying to get rid
of that crap as soon as possible"? Or are you simply babbling without
any proof?

> > plan9port is 23MB on Archlinux. Assuming an additional download of
> > the source for systems such as gentoo or via FreeBSD ports, that's
> > +17MB. Please do not assume things are arbitrary without knowing
> > where they came from.
> Please, stop talking about things you have no clue; no one ever said
> wmii should depend on all p9p, so stop spreading FUD. Thank you.

From the original message which started this thread:

3. With respect to that, isn't it a fair deal if someone
wants to use rc, that he should install plan9port (instead of
abandoned 9base)?
<<<

It appears garbeam's plan is to stop maintaining 9base. Which would
make my earlier assertions actual fact. Please do not flame
arbitrarily - "stop spreading FUD" - start providing proof if you
don't wish to look like a fool.

> wmi was shit; if you don't agree, go back to use it and don't waste
> our time with this discussion.

Hmm, it appears you feel much the same way about WMII. I suggest you
take your own advice and return to wherever you came from. the "don't
waste our time" section fits especially well here.