Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:04:29 +0100

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:04:04PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> Most of that crap should be gone in wmii-3, and what are arguing here
> about removing more operations(create/delete col, and all that other
> crap.) Which would certainly simplify things while making them more
> dynamic.

There is no difference to create a column explicitely or to set
a column exclusive which will have the effect to create a new
column. In both ways you got one interaction point.

If you always work with two columns (like me), because your
resolution (mine is 1400x1050) is too small to allow three
columns, you have in exclusive columns 1 interaction to move a
client from the adjacent column to the exclusive column, in
non-exclusive columns you simply got maximize (1 interaction).

In both cases ([non-]exclusive column) you have 1 interaction to
send a client to a different column, though in a exclusive column
this might have the side-effect, that a client is pushed out in
non-exclusive columns this might have the side-effect that the
column remains empty. Thus no difference in amount of interaction
points.

If you kill the client in an exclusive column, this might have
the effect that wether the column itself or an adjacent column
is destroyed (predictability here would need a defined behavior
which col disappears in such a case?). If a column gets
destroyed, your complete ws is rearranged. In a non-exclusive
column you might stick with a remaining empty column, but the
overall layout is kept. Now, to rearrange your environment to
two columns with a different width would make additional
interactions necessary in a exclusive column, though this might
not be an issue if one is ok with the default widths (50%/50%
with two cols). In an non-exclusive column you have not todo
anything, unless you really want to get rid of the column. The
whole point appears also on attach in the opposite direction,
exclusive columns might create a new column pushing the existing
or new client into it (must be defined). In a non-exclusive
column it is totally predictable where a new client is attached
(like in acme). So there are differences, both have pros and
cons for the specific way.

In both cases you have 2 interactions to navigate right-
respectively leftwards. No difference.

In non-exclusive case you have to explicitely destroy a column,
in exclusive it is done implicitely. This is the only case where
the exclusive column has lesser interaction points than the
non-exclusive.

Assumed that you have the same features in both cases per
column, which means stacked, equalized and maximized
arrangements of clients, the exclusive column concept is much
more complex with to few benefit and the drawback to restore
column widths. It is even lesser predictable. And simplicity
wins.

Also, some in IRC and me tried both concepts already, and most
of them agreed that column layout feels very clunky with
exclusive columns. It is just a question of being used to it
already or not. It is not a question of less or more dynamic
features.

Regards,