Re: [wmii] summary of some #wmii talk on 2006-03-02

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:57:54 +0100

To be honest, I don't understand what the hell you are talking about
(and why do you keep bringing up maxed clients? uhu? that is totally
irrelevant and should work the same)

It is _very_ simple:

When a new client comes up, the exclusive bit allows the wm to do _the
right thing_ right away: user interaction 0.

When all the clients in a column are gone, it allows the wm to do the
right thing: user interaction 0.

The exclusive flag rules are simple, clearly defined, and avoid lots
of tedious work to the user. So what is the problem?!? (Aside of the
col size preservation, which is certainly not a common case, and that
can be easily handled, and which is a non-issue because growing of
cols should be easy anyway)

As for simplicity, the model without exclusive flag requires: two
extra operations (create/delete col) and an extra bar that wastes
space, and makes user interaction much more tedious. So it is clearly
more complex.

Also it allows larswm-style layout management, which is the simplest
possible dynamic layout (of course larswm-layout has never been
properly implemented in any wmii version, which IMHO is really sad
because it's not hard at all)

uriel