Re: [wmii] snap: 20060307

From: R. Mattes <rm_AT_seid-online.de>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:21:59 +0100

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 18:52 +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I created a new snap which contains the new tagging mechanism
> and the discussed changes to column layout (except the exclusive
> flag revival, it will appear later).

Thanks a lot, i'll try it out right now.

> To use this snap you have to understand how it works, because
> all you know about workspaces (pages) is not(!) true anymore.

So -- what's new? :-)

> Each client has a 'tags' file in its namespace, ie:
>
> mmv; wmiir read /ws/sel/sel/
> ---w------- garbeam garbeam 0 Tue Mar 7 18:23:53 2006 ctl
> --rw------- garbeam garbeam 13 Tue Mar 7 18:23:53 2006 geom
> --r-------- garbeam garbeam 35 Tue Mar 7 18:23:53 2006 name
> --rw------- garbeam garbeam 1 Tue Mar 7 18:23:53 2006 tags
>
> This file contains space-separated tags, to which the client is
> related. By default wmii provides numeric tags (1...9), which
> can be applied on the fly to any client using the
> $MODKEY-[1...9] shortcut. If no clients exists "1" is used as
> fallback default tag, though this will be configurable in
> /def/tag with next snap.

Hmmm, why does it have to be $MODKEY-n? Can't we reseve that to the
most likely more often used "selection" (i.e. have "tagging" bound
to $MODKEY-shift-n and "selection" bound to $MODKEY-n)?

BTW, until the last snap i was able to rebind $MODKEY to that otherwise
unused key known as the "windows" key (which left "Alt" free for Emacs
and all the apps that use it for menu selection) by adding this to rc:

MODKEY=WIN # M, M1, M3, WIN, or M5

somehow this stopped to work with the last snap. Any idea?

Thanks

 Ralf Mattes