Re: [wmii] snap: 20060309

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 18:55:04 +0100

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 05:27:12PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> On 3/9/06, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 04:39:48PM +0100, Uriel wrote:
> > > This "calss" system seems way too complicated (I don't think I even
> > > understand it)
> > >
> > > All that is needed is a single file that contains one rule per line:
> > > /pattern/ -> tag list
> > >
> > > Inside /pattern/ you could have either regexps or shell-style globing. Only
> > > think that should be taken care is that it should be possible to match other
> > > attributes than "class:instance".
> >
> > I like your idea, except that I hope you don't mean to have such
> > file in wmii's virtual filesystem,
> Of course I do mean inside the wmifs, just like /mnt/plumb/rules,
> xprop output totally sucks, what wmii should provide is a way to setup
> a convenient set of rules.

I really hope you're not kidding, because that sounds totally
insane. Sure, xprops output sucks, but I don't care. Also wmii
won't be able to provide you equivalent output like xprops,
because xprops prints all(!) atom properties associated with a
window, you don't want to know how much crap you have todo, to
get something similiar (beside reinventing square wheels). (I
expect not under 2kSLOC at least for dumping/querying the
stuff).

Then implementing yet another regex-matching/globbing rule
engine similiar to awk, to just match some properties to write
some tags to windows inside wmii, what do you think how many
SLOC will that be? I expect at least 0.5-1kSLOC for very basic
stuff. Then you need an fs-interface for it which will need also
approx. 50 SLOC additional lines. Thus all in all we would be
around 10kSLOC I presume, for stuff which can be much more
simplier I already showed. We could even get rid of /def/tag
stuff, because wmiirc could decide what the fallback tag should
be.

> Also those rules should be applied _before_ the window is displayed,
> so it doing it through an external program is way too convoluted.

That is a good point, but you won't notice, because if you get a
window with an empty tags file, it is displayed off-screen until
the tags file has been written. You can write about 100 tags per
second, thus all in all a non-issue.

Regards,