Re: [wmii] feature suggestion/is this feature available yet?

From: jeff covey <jeff.covey_AT_pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:30:08 -0500

on Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 10:01:27PM +0800%, Jeffrey Lim said:

> Sometimes, when i am doing xterm-intensive stuff, i like to have my
> display in a tiled mode (love the fantastic idea, btw), with several
> xterms. This allows me to keep track of several things at once (and why
> screen is not the answer for this situation). Thing is, i find that i
> often have to remember, and keep track of which xterm is which due to the
> same labelling that they all have for their titlebars ('xterm'). This is
> made worse, when i do several "switches" with $MODKEY-enter.

you don't say what it is you actually want to do, but if i understand you
correctly, you mean that you have trouble switching between the different
applications running in your xterms. if so, screen probably is the answer
for you.

use "screen -ls" to get the pid of the screen session you're using in your
main xterm, then "screen -x [pid]" in another xterm to attach to that
session without detaching it from the main xterm. you can then leave the
watcher xterm on whatever screen you want to watch and go on using the main
xterm. when you want to interact with something you see in the watcher
xterm, you don't need to switch xterms, just use screen to switch to that
screen.

hope that's clear; it's simpler than it sounds... :)

sincerely,

--
jeff covey
http://jeffcovey.net/