Re: [wmii] wmiimenu

From: Nico Golde <nion_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:10:08 +0200

Hi,
* Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com> [2006-04-04 19:05]:
> On 4/4/06, Nico Golde <nico_AT_ngolde.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > why does wmiimenu doesn't start displaying long string on
> > the left side of the screen.
> > For example if you use
> >
> > echo -e "foobarfoobarfoobarfoobarfoobarfoobarfoobar\nbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbnbaznbaznbaznbaznbaznbazaznbaz"|wmiimenu
> >
> > it starts somewhere in the middle and if you add more \n's
> > and more strings you wont be able to read the menu entries.
> > Is the wanted?
>
> The reason it does this it that it always reserves an amount of space
> for the input field equal to the size of the longest menu-item (to
> make sure that the longest item will fit in the input field). Under
> normal circumstances, items should never be so long that this becomes
> a problem, but maybe the menu the menu could do something like the bar
> does when there are too much/too long items, to handle this
> (cornercase) nicer...

That would be cool. The reason why I ask is that I wrote a
bookmark script
(http://nion.modprobe.de/blog/archives/435-Managing-bookmarks-with-files-and-windowmanager.html) a while ago which uses wmiiplumb (now
wmiipsel) and I now I wanted to write a script which
displays the bookmarks in the wmiibar which does not work
because of this.
Regards Nico

--
Nico Golde - JAB: nion_AT_jabber.ccc.de | GPG: 0x73647CFF
http://www.ngolde.de | http://www.muttng.org | http://grml.org