Re: Re: [wmii] multitags

From: Alexandru E. Ungur <alexandru_AT_globalterrasoft.ro>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 22:49:56 +0300

>>> sender: "Denis Grelich" date: "Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:45:10PM +0200" <<<EOQ
> I would like to keep multitags too. The only reason that it isn't used
> much is that wmii lacks some nonchalant and easy interface to this great
> feature. Then, it's way too early to judge about such a revolutionary
> feature, as it needs quite long to get used to it (the more
> revolutionary, the longer it takes to break free from old paradigms, but
> that's what wmii is about, isn't it?).
That's exactly what I felt about it, but didn't find the right words... :)
In spite of the fact that I don't use the feature almost never, I *do*
like it a lot, and feel more confortable knowing it's there should I
ever need sticky windows, or a setup where I need to keep an eye on a
terminal but be able to quickly 'zoom' it to the whole screen (not the
whole column, I know about $MODKEY-m).

And exactly: it's too early to even get used to it, nevertheless it's a
feature with a lot of potential.

As for easy interface to the tags feature:
I saw once a tip here on the list about mapping:

        $MODKEY-Shift-t)
            wmiir read /tags | awk '{print $10}' | wmiimenu | wmiir write /view/sel/sel/tags;;

for setting the tag(s), and then added my own:

        $MODKEY-Right)
            echo -n view $(wmiir read /tags|wmiimenu)| wmiir write /ctl;;

Now setting the tags, or changing the views is a real pleasure :)

Have a pleasant evening everyone,
Alex