Re: [wmii] snap: 20060411

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:50:36 +0100 (BST)

> Since
> > it's a minor change (motivated by sometimes
> working on
> > a laptop with a relatively small screen),
> hopefully
> > no-one who disagrees aesthetically with different
> > values will go so far as to oppose making it
> > configurable.
>
> Well, as mentioned in POP I should have used
> something like:
>
> enum { LABEL_PADDING = 4 };
>
> instead. Actually the 4px are used to have 1px in
> top and bottom
> of text and allow a 1px border surrounding a label
> in top and
> bottom. Thus the value has been hardcoded and is
> already at the
> most minimal value.
>
> If you prefer small borders of frames, you have
> /def/border in
> the filesystem. if fixed font consumes too much
> space on your
> laptop, I recommend something like
>
> echo -n '-*-fixed-*-*-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'|wmiir
> write /def/font
>
> This is at least readable to some extend in
> 1400x1050 setups...

People often accuse me of having a very bad sense of
aesthetics, often with good reason :-) . Personally, I
don't mind text lines being jammed up together in
stack mode to save space, but I don't want to have to
use a small font that has me squinting just so that it
can keep its borders.

Anyway, first thing I do on downloading a new snapshot
is go in and manually comment out that +4; it'd just
be marginally more convenient to be able to do it from
wmiirc.