Re: [wmii] Too much autocompletion in wmiimenu

From: Chris Foster <foster_AT_physics.uq.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:33:45 +1000

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:16:54AM +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Chris Foster <foster_AT_physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> > In particular, this is a problem if I've tagged a client with
> > 1+2
> > and I want to reset it's tag to 1 - there doesn't seem to be a nice way
> > to do it with the default setup. I'm not sure whether to consider this
> > a bug in wmiirc or a nasty (in this particular case) feature of
> > wmiimenu... Unless I'm missing something.
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> When there's both entered text and a selected item, wmiimenu will
> print the item on stdout when you press Enter. This is good, since
> this is what you generally want (the main point of wmiimenu is to show
> a list of items from which the user can pick one).
> The problem this thread is about is a serious one though, so I've
> pushed a little change to hg last night that allows retagging from 1+2
> to 1 in this way:
> - type in a '1' into the input field
> - this selects the '1+2' item
> - if you press Enter, 1+2 will be printed
> - if you press Shift-Enter, the default behavior will be overruled,
> and '1' will be printed instead
> This way we can make wmiimenu print out whatever we want regardless of
> what items are shown, and we still keep the nice default behavior of
> being able to just type a few chars and hit Enter when the wanted item
> is highlighed.

At first I didn't like the idea of this, but you're right that the
default behaviour is more convenient (in fact, I hadn't noticed having
this problem that wmiimenu would return the highlighted menu item rather
than having to press tab to complete it). So: good solution, I'm always
a fan of a minimum number of keystrokes, thanks!

Will try it out in the next snap.
~Chris.