Re: [wmii] Re: Dockapp problem

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 19:14:16 -0400

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 07:10:21PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
>Fixed height, but variable width. Fixed height is good,
>because you are not forced to see these dockapps in any
>view. No need for scrolling complexity.

I don't think that there should be a special case for this, but I do think
that wmii should try to guess an initial height or width from what the client
wants and let you resize it as you see fit. I'm thinking of apps like Inferno,
here, that only have one size (for good reason), no matter how you try to size
them. Their preferred size should be taken into consideration, but not
enforced.

I also think that the client should be able to order the dock apps
horizontally or vertically, depending on what the user chooses. It's easy
enough to have a narrow column on one side of the screen and, since screens
are wider than they are tall, and have bars at the top and bottom anyway, it
makes a certain amount of sense to put them there. I don't see this option
adding any significant complexity to the design.

--
Kris Maglione