Re: [wmii] columns

From: John Nowak <john_AT_johnnowak.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 18:48:52 -0400

On May 28, 2006, at 6:34 PM, John Nowak wrote:

> On May 28, 2006, at 8:26 AM, David Arroyo wrote:
>
>> As it is now, creating the third column, an
>> ambitious act for most resolutions, squashes the other two
>> columns if you have a colwidth set.
>>
>> Perhaps a better solution would be ...
>
> Perhaps a better solution would be to only allow two columns? I've
> never used more than two, and I imagine most others are in the same
> boat. The complexity of controlling things is increased by the
> ability to have more than two columns: We have this whole left/
> right non-wrapping navigation now, which is a pain. If we cap it at
> two columns, we can replace the left/right with a simple "other
> column" command or something similar. Instead of having to move
> left or right, perhaps two or more times, changing columns is
> always the same command, and always used just once.

How about this instead: Kill the idea of unique columns per
workspace, and instead make "columns" a way to show multiple
"workspaces" simultaneously, one "workspace" per column, with
default, stacked, and maximized views for columns like we have for rows?

You could then use a command to switch a visible column to the
"workspace" with the same tag. A bonus is that since workspaces can
contain floating windows. I could have the Gimp on the left 80% of my
screen, aterms on the right, and the gimp would be unable to spawn
any crap over my aterms. It also simplifies the metaphor a lot, as we
no longer have any concrete idea of separate workspaces... It's just
one constantly mutating meta-workspace.

I think with a bit of effort in rounding off some sharp edges, the
above could prove very powerful... You must excuse me, I'm obsessed
with reductionism...

  Pay attention to me damnit!! :-)

- John