Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Denis Grelich <denis_AT_grelich.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:54:57 +0200

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:41:31 +0200
"Stefan Tibus" <sjti_AT_gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:09:29 +0200 Denis Grelich <denis_AT_grelich.de>
> wrote:
> > > But others, like me, could say: if a Thunderbird message
> > > composition window appears, then ensure that the current view has
> > > (at least?) two columns and put the composition window into the
> > > second column.
> >
> > That's exactly what I was saying. This should not need to be
> > configured, but should happen automatically anyway. These are two
> > solutions to the same problem:
> > a) configure by hand that this window behaves like that and stuff
> > b) add some hints to the window so that the wm can arrange this
> > automatically in a sane way for you
> > Which option would you prefer?
>
> First of all, there is some personal taste involved, which no
> wm will ever be able to guess.

Personal taste comes only into play when you select your tool. You
can't configure that much on a screwdriver or a hammer. Neither on a
car. Yet your taste is very important when you choose if you either
want a screwdriver with a big, round handle or small one of plastic, or
if you buy a VW Polo or a Mercedes.

Now think about it for a second. How many super-customizable tools with
exchangeable handles and stuff did you throw away already or did you
put away on the shelf because they're all crappy and flaky? Good tools
are simple tools.

> And second, how long do you believe you have to wait, until some app
> will provide these hints to wmii?

Honestly, are there any applications that you use every day that
you /really/ like? I, honestly, didn't find a good MUA, or a usable
Browser or even text editor yet. I suppose they have to be written from
scratch anyway. Hopefully,the 10kloc project will provide us with
those ;)
And besides, 90% of your programs are OSS anyway. So what's the problem?

> (and the hints provided by the programmer may still not result in
> what the user wants)

Again, a good craftsman learns to use his tools well, not the other way
round. A tool is by definition /not/ smart, it mustn't try to adapt
to the user. It is very simple to adapt to a tool though. And if
the program does not fit your needs, it's simply the wrong one.

> The only way to account for different personal taste is
> customizability... (and I don't mean by modifying the source
> code).

Yeah, customizability, like in choosing the colour of your car or
putting in other foot mats.

Greetings,
Denis