Re: [wmii] How to work flexibly? Usage question.

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:39:06 +0200

Piglet wrote:
> On 8/22/06, Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
>
>> wmii is a flexible window manager, but I fundamentally fail to grok what
>> this means. Hence my question about a concrete situation I'm in.
>> Hopefully your explanations will help me grok. Thanks a lot for your
>> input in advance.
>>

> [off topic]
> What is it with 'grok' these days, is 'understand' considered harmful
> or something?
> [end of off topic]

Google says yes:

    * Results *1* - *10* of about *22,500,000* for *understand
      <http://www.google.de/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/understand%26r%3D67>
      considered
      <http://www.google.de/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/considered%26r%3D67>
      harmful
      <http://www.google.de/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/harmful%26r%3D67>*.
      (*0.70* seconds)
    * Results *1* - *10* of about *34,000* for *grok
      <http://www.google.de/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/grok%26r%3D67>
      considered
      <http://www.google.de/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/considered%26r%3D67>
      harmful
      <http://www.google.de/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/harmful%26r%3D67>*.
      (*0.91* seconds)

So it must be true!

> This situation sounds like a no brainer to me, mess around in a rough
> approximation of situation B on some workspace when you want to, if
> you want to work in situation A, highlight the client, send it to an
> unused workspace and go there. When you're done, send it back. This
> is what should be meant by dynamic in this enviroment too, you might
> not be getting the 100% complete perfect solution, but you're getting
> a good one for less than 1< of work, and that should be the case with
> most situations (with a little luck).
I think I don't need to highlight a client to send it back and forth,
because I don't need to see that client in both situations. This is an
omission in my original description:

Situation A involves window W1, situation B involves windows W2, W3 (and
perhaps W4).

So it seems it should be sufficient to switch between two views.

Kai