[wmii] Re: ruby wmiirc - interactive live demo

From: Constantine Evans <constantine_AT_evanslabs.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:36:27 -0700

Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've polished up my ruby wmiirc over the past week and written an
> article[1] about it. It provides a quick and light Ruby interface to
> wmii via the ruby-ixp library (not wmiir!). Its source code[2] and
> documentation[3] is available for browsing here[4].
>
> The best part is the new interactive Ruby shell (wmiish), which lets
> you access and manipulate wmii (1) in real-time and (2) without
> having to install my wmiirc. Thus, I urge you to try the interactive
> live demonstration[1] from the comfort of your own wmiirc. :-)
>
> Your feedback is most welcome and appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your consideration.
>
> [1] http://people.ucsc.edu/~skurapat/wmii.html
> [2] http://people.ucsc.edu/~skurapat/pub/wmii/snk_wmiirc/
> [3] http://people.ucsc.edu/~skurapat/pub/wmii/snk_wmiirc/doc
> [4] http://people.ucsc.edu/~skurapat/pub/wmii/

This is quite nice, and certainly seems to give a very significant speed
increase. Your patches are also very nice, particularly the horizontal
wrapping. The keybindings, however, are a bit hard to become accustomed
to, and I don't understand the rationale behind the direction keys (are
you using a different keyboard layout?).

As a very minor speed increase, have you considered replacing
system("command &") with a function that does Process.fork {
exec('command', [options')}? I'm not sure how much of an increase this
would give, but it would prevent a shell from being started every time a
new command is run. I've done this in my wmiirc-config.rb.