Re: [wmii] More about Rii

From: Daniel Waeber <_wabu_AT_web.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 22:26:34 +0100

Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:14:59PM +0100, Daniel Waeber wrote:
>>
>> I have put the first alpha release on rubyforge:
>> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=2948
>>
>> It is still under development, but as it will just evolve very slow,
>> because I have not much time, I just put up the version so very one
>> willing to test it can do so. Don't expect it to work, the wmiirc is
>> just for my system and perhaps the Rakefile only works for linux machines.
>>
>> Any input is welcome. I'll be around in #wmii some hours each day if you
>> have some questions.
>>
>> For all who try to use it, good luck ;)
>
> Thanks, I tried it, and since use quite the same software as you do
> (urxvtd/c, feh, remind) and even hat transset-df installed, it was very
> easy to use it.
>
> First impression: slow!
> Let me explain why: I had a column with 4 clients in default mode, and
> held mod4 down and pressed (and kept holding) the K key to cycle through
> clients in a continuous mode, and wmii nearly began to hang itsself ;)
> But this was just due to the FocusClient hook and the transset-df
> settings. After I disabled them, I came to the

You'll need a good graphics card for that ;)

> Second impression: Wow, fast!
>
> And at least basic commands are working, though no dmenu related things,
> like mod4-p or mod4-a where just an empty dmenu window comes up. Need to
> look into it more, why this isn't working...

The list will be generated on your input. Each tag has it's own list of
mostly used programms. But you have to used mod-a quit command, so the
list will be saved. You can try mod-a Prog.store (in the svn version) to
see if it is working.

> Unfortunatly not even mod4-1/2/3/4/etc. for switching to a tag work yet.

Thats strage, it should work, at least with wmii-3.5.1. But check out
the svn version, perhaps it's already solved.
svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rii
The scripts will improve as I and other use them

Moreover you can try to start a new wmiirc in a terminal and send the
output after mod4-1... presses

> Anyway, thanks a lot for rii/libixp-ruby, I'll probably use it on a
> daily basis now.
> --
> Martin

Nice to hear. Here are some more tips for useage:
- - read the README ;)
- - compile libixp with -fPIC
- - run wmiirc in a terminal to see its output
- - meet me at #wmii, I'll be glad to help

Regrads
        wabu