Re: [wmii] wmii bug ?

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jeremy_AT_jeremyms.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:37:32 -0400

Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net> writes:

>> I believe this problem may be due to the X keyboard input focus getting
>> set to None, possibly by a non-ICCCM-conforming program like Mozilla in
>> conjunction with certain plugins setting it to revert to None, and then
>> when the window that had focus is destroyed or unmapped, the focus
>> reverts to None. The solution is for WMII to set the input focus back
>> to the root window in certain cases.

> That's a rather large, blind leap. I've never seen it happen. I think that it's
> more likely that dmenu is grabbing focus, assuming that no apps are getting
> keyboard events. It's also possible that keybindings have been disabled, as via
> Ctrl+Alt+T.

It is a rather large blind leap. The possibility occurred to me,
though, because I had the same issue mentioned by the poster with my own
window manager. I haven't looked at the relevant wmii code, but it did
seem quite possible that wmii would have the same issue, due to the
assumption that clients would not muck around with setting the input
focus in an non-ICCCM-compliant manner.

I also recall having such an issue with wmii myself back when I used
it. Specifically, I found that sometimes the keyboard would stop
responding, but switching views by clicking on a view name with the
mouse would fix the problem. I never tracked down the source of the
problem in wmii.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard