Re: [wmii] Updates to tip, please test!

From: Uriel <uriel99_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:54:50 +0200

> Turns out I did break window movement while fixing the segfaulty
> behaviours. I fixed that tonight along with Chris's problem starting
> wmiirc from rc.wmii, another rc.wmii bug that prevented an external
> status script from working[1] and the segfault when XOpenDisplay
> fails. Nothing terribly exciting.
>
> [1] I actually noticed and fixed this bug locally ages ago, but never
> reported it so I had to spend another half hour tonight tracking it
> down again. Tch tch!

Thanks for the fixes! I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I will try to
get wmii-3.6-rc1 out of the door ASAP.

> Thanks to Uriel for pushing the changes to tip!
> To sum up the known issues:
> 1) collapsed clients outside stacked mode don't always uncollapse when
> they receive focus

I'm not sure this is a bug, in non-stacked (or max) mode focus should
not change size, so if things stay collapsed it is ok (I think).

> 2) resizing within a column affects clients it shouldn't (seems to
> average client size?)

Yes, this is annoying, but I don't think it is a showstopper for 3.6.

> 3) you should be able to create columns with the mouse (wasn't working
> at the point I started on the code)

I'm not sure how this would even work... I would rather have a 'push
to new col' command which could be triggered via the fs (from the
keyboard, a button, a tagbar once they work properly, whatever). In
any case, is this a showstopper?

> 4) wmii's fullscreen (MOD+f) acts funny with some apps (qiv)

I didn't even know we had this feature, is it really all that important/useful?

> 5) support for apps native full screen modes sucks (qiv [drops behind
> managed layer], gqview [window appears slightly offscreen], firefox
> [titlebar doesn't come back when you return from fullscreen])

This IMHO is the greatest issue, I know it was fixed at some point,
sad to see it broken again, I hate X...

> 6) grab boxes suck

Indeed, but I probably would leave fixing them for wmii-4.

So, IMHO for wmii-3.6 all that is left is fixing the app full screen
issues, anyone has any strong disagreement (or new bugs to report?

Best wishes and thanks everyone for contributing

uriel