Re: [wmii] [ANN] wmii 3.6 released

From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz_AT_lifelogs.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:15:25 -0600

s> On Nov 28, 2007 11:48 PM, Ted Zlatanov <tzz_AT_lifelogs.com> wrote:
>>> I'd like to associate a corner/side of the screen with an action,
>>> similar to what the Gnome app Brightside or the Mac OS X corners do. It
>>> needs to have a configurable delay and size of the active zone. For
>>> example, moving the mouse to the top right could start xlock.
>>> Brightside doesn't work outside of Gnome, so it's not an option.
>>>
>>> I don't know if this belongs in wmii or in an external utility, but
>>> haven't found anything that does it. I think it's very useful.

s> wmii doesn't have any facilities to assist, so you'll have to use
s> some external app (which probably just creates an InputOnly window on
s> the edge of the screen). -sqweek

TZ> It's basically xeyes with extra logic for resting the pointer in a
TZ> corner. I wish I knew X programming enough to do this myself. Maybe as
TZ> a side project I'll get to it.

I found the xmousepos utility (part of the xautomation package). I
wrote a simple Perl script, using xmousepos, which is run like this:

poscycle.pl -2 'xlock -mode matrix'
(run that command when spot 2, top right, is hit)

poscycle.pl understands the xmousepos 'X Y ...' format, so any
application that prints the mouse cursor position as a single line of
output would work. poscycle.pl has a -idle option for how long to wait,
and -size for how big the "hit" spot should be. It cycles every second
so I doubt it's a big CPU hog.

Also, the X and Y dimensions are set to 1920x1200 in the script, but can
be overridden with -x and -y respectively. I don't know how to grab
those automatically.

I hope it's useful to someone.

Ted